top of page

Hand Stained Rose under Glass

A couple of months ago, I had a customer purchase my Damask Rose Table that had the beautiful ball and claw feet... anyone remember? Here's a picture {you can click on the picture to take you to that blog if you are interested in reading about it.}

Anyway, Ms. T (my customer) was moving into a new home and found two really cute tables that she wanted to have in the same room, so she wanted them to "match". When I dropped off the Damask Rose Table, we talked about the two "new" tables and where they would go. We decided one would probably be in the entryway and the other in the living room with the Damask Rose.

So, for the smaller pedestal table, we decided to just go with a plain cream with some color to the rose.

You can read about the transformation of this one here if you missed that blog.

For this table, we decided to go with the same color scheme that was on the Damask Rose table. This table is quite unique with an extra glass top on it - which I LOVE, because it of course gives more protection to my artwork! This is what the table looked like when I picked it up.

Really cute, with some wonderful detailing!! But that RED was NOT going to fit in with her color scheme!

I started with cleaning the piece really well, sanding the whole piece, and cleaning again. I also used some Primer on the the red so it wouldn't bleed through the cream color that would be going on top of it. You can see in the picture below that the primer wasn't covering very well.

I didn't want to risk that red bleeding through, so I used some shellac and that did the trick!

For the base of the table, I used Heirloom Traditions Rainy Day for the base color, which is a soft gray. I then did a layer of Fusion Mineral Paints in the color Inglenook (I love this soft seafoam-ish color).

Photo via Pinterest

Before the Inglenook dried completely, I did some wet sanding so that the Rainy Day would show through. In those same areas, I used some German Silver gilding paste to highlight those areas.

If you've never used gilding paste before, you might want to give it a try. It's just a rub on paste that gives just enough shimmer without being too dramatic. The German Silver is sort of a mix of gold and silver.

I also did this same technique to the wood border around the glass. I had to tape off all around the glass on both sides, which was a bit of a challenge.

For the top of the table, I used Heirloom Traditions Manor House Paint. It took several coats to really do a good job covering that red. Now for the staining.... (the fun part - FINALLY).

As many of you know, I use an oil-based Ebony stain for all of my artwork. The following collage represents the progression. I have to admit, this one gave me some grief every step of the way, and I honestly never figured out why. I've used this paint before, so it wasn't that. I tried opening a new can of stain.. that didn't solve the problem either. In the end, I just walked away from it for a few days and went back once the stain had permeated. This didn't totally solve the problem, as the stain was being very stubborn for me. But in time, I made it through!

Now for the final reveal of this devil, errr... beauty, I meant beauty!

These will go to their new home tomorrow, and I will be picking up a nice big bench to do some painting on that will go in their little girls' room! Stay tuned for that.... no stained art on it, but it's still going to be really pretty!

As always, I would love for you to follow along socially or on my website!

Head over to Friday's Furniture Fix to see even more unique furniture makeovers by others!

Recent Posts
bottom of page