Hi all! I've been so excited to share with you my latest art piece!! There are many highs and lows in the life of an artist! You start out with the highest of anticipation to put what is in your head onto the "canvas" (or furniture, as furniture IS my canvas typically). The little devil pops into your head and makes you start second guessing.... Each piece comes with its never ending roller coaster ride!
Such was the circle of life for this piece!
I started with this nice end table that had some good potential.
From the day I bought it, my vision was a red base with some dark glazing. For the top, my hope was to have a red poppy! I searched for months for the perfect poppy and finally decided on this as my inspiration.
I started with the easiest part while I tried to figure out how I was going to do the background of the poppy.
I painted the base with Wise Owl Antique Red.
Once the Antique Red was dry, I sealed the paint with our Wise Owl Satin Varnish
and then used MinWax Oil-base stain in Ebony to create the aged effect.
The oil-based stain needs to cure for at least three days before applying a water-based topcoat. I then sealed with our Wise Owl Varnish.
The base was done...
Now, on to the fun part! I was a little nervous on this one. I couldn't figure out how to do the background and get the red done with success, and I had some hiccups along the way and actually had to start the top all over again.
(This is where the "This looks like CRAP!" mentality came in to the picture!)
I got back on track...
I ended up painting the background with Wise Owl Black, and the part where the poppy would be was painted with a mix of Wise Owl Radish and Antique Red. (Radish has now been discontinued, sadly).
Here is what the top looked like before I started the staining technique.
Here is a progression of the staining process of the poppy
Here is a closer look at the top at this point.
I was very happy with the staining at this point, however, I wanted the background to be darker. So, i went back in with my oil-based Ebony and put a coat of the stain over the black paint. This was a painstaking endeavor. I allowed the stain to cure for nearly a week before I coated it with the sealer. I used General Finishes High Performance Top Coat.
And HERE she is!! I don't like to play favorites , but I have to say that this is my favorite piece to date!! The color is so vibrant and really pops off the dark black background! I think I made it to the "This is PHENOMENAL" stage!! (at least in my eyes).
When I was halfway through this piece, one of my Facebook followers said she wanted to purchase it. It turns out she is from FL, and I will be making a trip to FL to visit family at the end of the month! She lives near where I am going so this worked out perfectly.
If you haven't visited my Facebook page, you should stop by. I post progress pictures as I'm working on pieces. I also post other important dates, events, specials, giveaways, sales, etc! I hope to see you there!!
I would also like you to visit my other social networks if you have a moment!
Facebook Instagram Pinterest Etsy Hometalk
Thank you so much for following along!!
Affiliate links below: