Using Red Dye on Lily-stained Table

I recently got a request from a repeat customer to do two tables with red lilies using my staining technique.

 

RED??? Hmmmm, this would be new!

 

I did just start adding color to my staining art pieces, but that has been with painted pieces, not stained pieces. However, a few months ago, I had purchased some colored dyes and Merlot was one of those dyes, so this was the perfect opportunity to give this a try.

 

I started with this Queen Anne style cherry table

  •  

    I stripped down the top.  And gave the base of the table a black wash using Ebony Dye. This gives the finish more depth and a richer feel.

 

 

 I used the General Finishes Merlot dye where the lily would be, keeping in mind where the stamens are so as not to get stain in that area.

 

 

A second coat of the red dye

 

The Merlot dye is water-based and I would be using an oil-based stain on top, so I needed to wait at least 24 hours for the dye to penetrate and dry.

 

And now to make this lily come to life with the oil based stain.

 

 

 

 

I could have been done with the image at this point, but I decided to add extra dimension with shading around the outside of the flower.

 

I finished it off with two coats of sanding sealer. The raw wood really soaked it up. And then three coats of Polyvine varnish, with a satin finish over the entire piece.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stay tuned for the complementary piece I will be doing for this same customer...

 

Please take a moment to like my Facebook page.  You can also find me on Pinterest, Instagram, Etsy, and Hometalk.

 

Thanks for following along...

 

xoxo,

Michelle

Please reload

Please reload

Archive

January 12, 2019

October 5, 2018

November 2, 2017

October 13, 2017

October 10, 2017

September 16, 2017

September 2, 2017