Drum tables happen to be one of my favorite pieces of furniture, so when my sister sent me a picture of this one she found at an antique store, I quickly told her to GRAB IT!! When I saw the fine detailing and those metal "boots" and original hardware on the drawer, I knew they would clean up so nicely!
I started of by stripping the top of the table and sanding it down as much as I could to obtain the lightest hue I could get the wood.
(don't mind the leaves that my little cocker spaniel's skirt is a magnet to)
For the legs and body of the drum, I lightly sanded and did a black wash with General Finishes Ebony Dye.
I then highlighted the metal feet and the orignal lion pull hardware with antique gold gilding paste. I also add the gilding to some recessed areas.
For the top, I decided on a stained rose.
I added a black stain around the outside edge of the rose
I then added a cherry stain on top and shaded around the the edge of the rose.
This is the point of this project that my heart sank! I used a new-to-me top coat that did NOT work out in my favor! I ended up with a water-streaked look. I tried to remedy the situation a few different ways, but alas..... I had to sand it all down and nearly start from scratch. I just wasn't sure this was going to work out!
But after restaining the rose and using one of my frequently used top coats (Polyvine), all worked out ok! Whew!
This is one of my favorites to date!
If you enjoyed this, please follow along ...
Instagram Facebook Hometalk Pinterest Etsy